Summer Institute 2018 takes place at the University of New Hampshire in scenic Durham, New Hampshire from July 19 to July 22. This intensive, four-day series of workshops and seminars will prepare you to organize your colleagues, stand up for academic freedom, and advocate for research and teaching as the core priority of higher education. The program and additional information will soon be available at https://www.aaup.org/event/2018-summer-institute.
This year there are several grants for which CA-AAUP members can apply:
1. CA-AAUP general travel grants are intended to assist with travel and registration costs for any member of AAUP who resides in California. The maximum grant is $800/person. We encourage applicants to also seek funding from their home campuses and AAUP campus chapters.
The deadline to apply for a CA-AAUP Summer Institute General Travel Grant is midnight Friday, May 19, 2018. CA-AAUP scholarship award notifications will be issued by midnight Monday, May 21, 2018.
2. CA-AAUP private university travel grants are intended to assist with travel and registration costs for AAUP members in California who belong to an advocacy chapter at a private university. These have been funded by a generous grant from the AAUP’s Assembly of State Conferences. The maximum grant is $800/person. We encourage applicants to also seek funding from their home campuses and AAUP campus chapters.
The deadline to apply for a CA-AAUP Summer Institute Private University Travel Grant is midnight Friday, May 19, 2018. CA-AAUP scholarship award notifications will be issued by midnight Monday, May 21, 2018.
NOTE: Early registration for Summer Institute 2018 is $650/person, due May 25. Full-price registration is $675/person, due by June 29. Registration includes all workshop materials, 3 nights’ single-occupancy room, plus 3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, and opening reception on Thursday, July 19 (see website above for details).
Priority for CA-AAUP travel grants will be given to CA-AAUP members from:
* Chapters with financial hardships,
* Campuses that do not have AAUP chapters but are considering creating one
* Chapters that are providing their own matching support to help finance costs for attendees
TO APPLY FOR CA-AAUP FUNDING
Please provide the following information and send your responses via email to email@example.com
1. Your name, the name of your institution, your status (faculty, staff, etc.), chapter/union position (if any), and /or any other relevant positions you hold (e.g., member of Academic Senate). Include your preferred email address and phone number and mailing address.
2. A brief explanation of the reason for your application for travel funding.
3. How you expect to use information/experience gathered at the meeting (e.g., to organize faculty, to initiate specific actions on your campus, and/or to address another specific need).
4. Please state the sum that you are requesting. Reimbursable expenses include: registration fee ($650 early or $675 full-price), airport shuttle service/local transportation, taxi, hotel, airfare, mileage (54.5¢/mile) to/from airport or conference location and meals (up to $60/day). CA-AAUP will not reimburse attendee’s costs for alcoholic beverages.
After the meeting, awardees will submit their receipts and summarize total costs on a signed and completed CA-AAUP Reimbursement Voucher. As a condition of receiving a travel grant, each CA-AAUP travel scholarship awardee will submit a brief report to CA-AAUP (approximately 100-200 words) reporting on awardee’s planned or actual use of the Summer Institute experience on his/her campus or institution or within his/her organization. , or within 30 days of the Summer Institute. Reimbursement for travel costs will not be made until we receive the awardee’s report. Please email reports to firstname.lastname@example.org
CA-AAUP may choose to publish excerpts from these reports on the CA-AAUP website. www.ca-aaup.org
Note: travel funding occurs as a reimbursement upon submittal of original receipts and report